Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I have survived a few more days

As I have started to realize these last few days, Plock seems to be how most of the Polish live their lives.  It is a town rich with history, but beginning to bring in the modernized stores like Auchan Polska, which is a hipermarket.  It is Poland's version of Wal-Mart.  I went for the first time last night, and I was lost in the massive amount of stuff that is in that store.  Thankfully most of the products had an english description on them somewhere, even if it was only one line.  I found Nutella!  Too bad I couldn't buy a washing machine for my hotel room...


The laundry predicament I find myself in is somewhat frustrating.  The hotel doesn't have laundry service so I asked if there was a place to send it to have it done.  There is a place, and she told me where it was, but I couldn't find it.  So I resorted to doing my own laundry by hand in a bucket in my shower.  The jeans are impossible.  The only pair I washed yesterday is still not dry and it has been 24 hours since I washed them!  *sigh*  


One the more positive side - I learned today that the building across the street from my hotel is the oldest high school in Europe.  It was built and established centuries ago.  I find it mind-boggling how old some of the buildings around here are.  I realize that there are many other places with older buildings, and hopefully I'll make it to those places someday.  But for now I am content with the cathedral built in the 12th century down the street.  :-)  I have yet to go inside the church, but I have a feeling it is absolutely beautiful.  I'll post pictures if I can take them.  For now you'll have to deal with the outside...

My task for this weekend is to find a Polish birthday present for my brother.  I am going to Warsaw this weekend to see a few sites, maybe I'll find something.  If not he'll have to deal with the Catholic art.  There are at least three stores that sell religious art.  It makes sense, I was told today that about 80-90% of the population in Poland is probably Catholic.  I'm in a town with I don't know how many Catholic churches, but no masses in English!  I'd even take Latin at this point.  (I never ever thought I'd say that) 

2 comments:

  1. What kind of work are you doing? Turnaround? If you get a few days take the train to Italy or france or Prague! I envy you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a new unit. Well 5 new units in one aromatic complex. So we're just checking things out right now and in a few months we'll start catalyst/adsorbent loading.

    I'm definitely going to check out Prague. There are a lot of trains out of Warsaw that go there. And if I can figure out how to get a long weekend, I'm going to Italy!

    ReplyDelete